If you’re looking for a hearty and flavorful meal that will warm you up from the inside out, look no further than Santiago’s Green Chili with Pork. This authentic recipe features tender chunks of pork, slow-simmered in a rich green chili sauce, made with a blend of roasted green chilies, garlic, cumin, and other savory spices.
Served over steaming hot rice, this satisfying dish is a true crowd-pleaser, perfect for a cozy family dinner or a big game-day gathering. So grab your apron and get ready to cook up a storm with this delicious recipe!
Table of Contents:
- 2 pounds pork shoulder, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- Hot cooked rice, for serving
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot. Add the pork and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned on all sides.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock, green chilies, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Bring the chili to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 2 hours, or until the pork is very tender and the sauce has thickened.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and water until smooth. Stir the flour mixture into the chili and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened even more.
- Taste the chili and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- To serve, ladle the chili over bowls of hot cooked rice.
This recipe is already pretty perfect as-is, but if you’re feeling creative, here are a few ways to mix things up:
- Add a can of drained and rinsed black beans to the chili during the last 30 minutes of cooking time for extra heartiness and texture.
- Puree the chili in a blender or with an immersion blender for a smoother, creamier texture.
- Serve the chili with a dollop of sour cream, chopped fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice for some extra zing.
- Try swapping out the pork for chicken or beef for a different twist on the classic recipe.
Tips and Notes:
- To make this recipe spicier, use hotter green chilies or add a few dashes of hot sauce to taste.
- This chili is even better the next day, so consider making a big batch and reheating leftovers for lunch or dinner later in the week.
- If you prefer a thicker sauce, you can add a bit more flour and water to the chili during the simmering process.
- This chili freezes very well, so consider making a double batch and freezing half for later.
- If you’re short on time, you can use pre-cut pork stew meat from the grocery store instead of cutting your own pork shoulder.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Can I make this recipe in the slow cooker?
Absolutely! Simply follow the recipe as written, but instead of simmering on the stovetop, transfer everything to a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the pork is very tender.
2. Do I need to roast my own green chilies for this recipe?
No, although it’s certainly an option if you have the time and inclination. However, most grocery stores carry canned or frozen green chilies that work just fine in this recipe.
3. Can I use beef or chicken instead of pork?
Definitely! While pork is the traditional meat used in Santiago’s Green Chili, beef or chicken both work well and will give the dish a slightly different flavor profile.
4. How long will the leftovers keep in the fridge?
If stored in an airtight container, leftover chili will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
5. Can I freeze this chili?
Yes, this chili freezes very well. Let it cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
This Authentic Santiago’s Green Chili Recipe with Pork is a true classic, packed with bold flavors and tender chunks of meat. Whether you’re serving it for a big family dinner or a casual night in with friends, this hearty dish is sure to impress. So why wait? Grab your ingredients and get cooking today!