If you’re looking for a Southern-style bread recipe to serve with your meal, look no further than Brenda Gantt’s hot water cornbread. With a crispy exterior and fluffy interior, this cornbread is the perfect addition to any meal. Here’s how to make it:
Table of Contents:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a large bowl, mix together cornmeal, salt, and baking powder.
- Add boiling water to the mixture and stir until well combined.
- Slowly pour in the milk, stirring continuously, until the mixture becomes a thick batter.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Scoop the batter into the skillet using a tablespoon, making 2-3 inch rounds.
- Fry each round for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the skillet and place on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Repeat until all the batter has been used.
These hot water cornbreads are best served warm alongside a hearty Southern meal. Consider pairing them with dishes like fried chicken, collard greens, and black-eyed peas for a complete meal.
Tips and Notes:
- For a sweeter variation, add 1-2 tablespoons of sugar to the batter.
- For a spicier variation, add 1-2 tablespoons of diced jalapenos to the batter.
- To store leftovers, store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven before serving.
Q. Can I use self-rising cornmeal?
A. Yes, but omit the baking powder and salt from the recipe.
Q. Can I use a different type of oil for frying?
A. Yes, any type of vegetable or canola oil will work.
Q. Can I make the batter ahead of time?
A. Yes, the batter can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to 24 hours before frying.
Q. How many cornbreads does this recipe make?
A. This recipe makes about 8-10 cornbreads, depending on the size of each round.
Q. Can I freeze the cornbreads?
A. Yes, the cornbreads can be frozen for up to 3 months. Reheat in the oven before serving.
Brenda Gantt’s hot water cornbread is a classic Southern recipe that is easy to make and perfect for any meal. With its crispy exterior and soft interior, it’s sure to be a hit with your family and friends. So why not give it a try?