If you’re looking for a delicious, nutritious and soft food recipe for children, carrot rice soup is an excellent choice. Made with simple, yet flavorful ingredients, this soup is not only easy to make but also very satisfying.
Table of Contents:
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Rinse the Basmati rice in cold water and drain the excess water.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add ginger paste and chopped carrots and cook for a few minutes until the carrots are slightly tender.
- Add rice, vegetable broth, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and the soup is thick.
- Remove from heat and allow the soup to cool down to room temperature.
- Puree the soup in a blender until smooth and creamy.
- Reheat the soup and serve hot, garnished with fresh cilantro leaves.
Optional Serving Suggestions:
You can also serve the soup with buttered garlic bread or top it with a poached egg or some crumbled feta cheese for added flavor and texture.
Tips and Notes:
- If the soup is too thick, you can add some more vegetable broth or water to thin it out.
- You can use a hand blender to puree the soup directly in the pot, instead of transferring it to a blender.
- If you want to make the soup more filling, you can add some diced chicken or tofu to the pot when you add the carrots and rice.
Q. Can I use brown rice instead of Basmati rice?
A. Yes, you can use brown rice instead of Basmati rice, but the cooking time will be longer.
Q. Can I freeze the soup?
A. Yes, you can freeze the soup in an airtight container for up to 3 months. However, the texture may change slightly after thawing and reheating.
Q. Can I use chicken broth instead of vegetable broth?
A. Yes, you can use chicken broth instead of vegetable broth, but the soup won’t be vegetarian anymore.
Q. Can I add other vegetables to the soup?
A. Yes, you can add other vegetables, such as celery, zucchini or sweet potatoes, to the soup for added nutrition and flavor.
Q. Can I make the soup spicy?
A. Yes, you can add some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to the soup for some heat, but be careful not to add too much.
Carrot rice soup is a healthy and delicious soft food recipe for children, as well as for adults who need a light meal. It’s easy to make, and you can customize it with your favorite herbs and spices. Try this recipe today, and let us know how you like it!