If you’re looking for a sweet and crunchy snack that’s perfect for movie nights, game nights, or just about any occasion, then you need to try out this Famous Brenda Gantt Caramel Popcorn Recipe! Made with simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry, this recipe is easy to follow and produces popcorn that’s simply addictive.
Table of Contents:
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 250°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the popped popcorn in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, let it continue to cook for 2 minutes without stirring.
- Remove the pan from the heat and quickly stir in the baking soda. The mixture will become frothy and light.
- Pour the caramel mixture over the popcorn and stir to coat the popcorn evenly.
- Spread the popcorn mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before serving.
Optional Serving Suggestions/Variations:
This popcorn is delicious as is, but you can mix things up by adding in some nuts or chocolate chips for an extra flavor boost. You can also play around with the baking time to get your desired level of crunchiness.
Tips and Notes:
- Make sure to use unsalted butter in this recipe to avoid an overly salty flavor.
- This recipe makes a large batch, but you can easily cut it in half if you don’t need as much popcorn.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
- If you’re in a hurry, you can skip the baking step and just enjoy the popcorn as is after coating it in the caramel mixture.
- Be careful when working with the hot caramel mixture, as it can cause serious burns.
Q. Can I use microwave popcorn instead of popping my own?
A. Yes, you can use microwave popcorn in this recipe. Just make sure to choose a variety that’s plain or lightly salted.
Q. Is there a way to make this recipe vegan?
A. Yes, you can use a vegan butter substitute in place of the regular butter to make this recipe vegan.
Q. Can I freeze this popcorn to make it last longer?
A. While you can freeze this popcorn, it may lose some of its crunchiness after thawing.
Q. Can I double or halve this recipe?
A. Yes, you can easily double or halve this recipe to suit your needs.
Q. Can I add other flavorings to this recipe?
A. Yes, you can experiment with adding other flavorings such as cinnamon or vanilla extract to the caramel mixture for a unique taste.
With this Famous Brenda Gantt Caramel Popcorn Recipe, you can enjoy a sweet and crunchy snack whenever you want. Whether you’re settling in for a movie night with the family or hosting a game night with friends, this recipe is sure to be a hit. Try it out today and see for yourself!